Dec 29, 2012

Recharged and ready to go!


This photo is a good representation of my family during the holidays, this year.  We all are so busy and work so hard for most of the year, that when the holidays come around at the end of the year, we just want to rest and take it easy.  I grabbed my IPhone and took this photo while the wiener dog was lying in my son's lap and resting his head on the arm of the couch.  He just looked so content.  I think that is the way we were all feeling at the time.

We have engineered our Christmas day to be a relaxing day, where we can just be together and not stress.  We don't hit the road, going from family to family.  We stay home, just the five of us, the husband and I, the 2 kids, and of course, the wiener dog. My husband and I cook the meal, but we do not cook traditional holiday fare.  It is different each year.  This year we grilled steak. I made my my mashed potatoes, which are not your average, everyday mashed potato. And, I made a wonderful winter salad with arugula, oven roasted pears, walnuts, goat cheese, and a homemade vinaigrette.  It sounds like a lot of work, but they are all simple recipes, and didn't take long to make.  The day before, my husband made his homemade pumpkin pie and coconut cream pie.  He also made homemade Challah bread.  For several days before Christmas, I had been making my momma's homemade fudge, candy.  It is just not Christmas without my momma's homemade fudge. The food was plentiful and so delicious.  

We spent the entire day at home, talking, laughing, watching movies and looking out the window at the falling snow.  It was a wonderful Christmas day.  My son, who came home from college, did not have to go back to work until the weekend, so he was able to stay for a few days.  It was a great visit, and as always, it was hard to say goodbye.

This year, I took most of December off.  It was not planned. Just the opposites, actually.  I had planned to make an extra batch of charms, and get a head start on the new year, but I kept procrastinating and finding reasons to not go into my studio. I was burned out, but didn't realize it.  After a week of not working in my studio, it occurred to me that I had no desire to go in there. So I didn't.  I decided to give myself a nice long break, and time to recharge. Now it has been a month, and I am ready to get back in there.  I'm actually excited about it.  

I'm currently working on setting my goals for 2013, and cleaning, purging and reorganizing my studio.  I've have collected so much stuff.  Some of it has to go!!!  I have some new charm shapes that I am working on, and I have some new ideas for beads.  I'll be starting all of this soon.  I plan to make a small batch of charms, to begin with, that includes some the new shapes.  I will also be throwing some Valentine charms in there, as well.

I hope everyone had a great Holiday season.  I am send out lots of hope for 2013.  New beginnings are full of so many wonderful possibilities. 

Love and Peace,
Martha



2 comments:

  1. I took most of December off too, but it was not intentional, it just happened. I love that Christmas day for you is not hurried and chaotic, but relaxed and enjoyed. Ours was the same, my hubby and kids just being lazy and enjoying each other's company.

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. We celebrate much the same as you do with the exception that we travel up the street to my mom's house to laze around for the day. It's very nice after years of running around crazy!

    Can't wait to see the goodies you have for us in the new year, in the meantime glad you've had a nice holiday season...looking forward to 2013 and it's wonderful surprises!

    ReplyDelete